Confused why robotic surgery comes with loads of benefits in the Prostate Cancer surgery? Well there are many strong reasons most experienced surgeons have been recommending and undertaking this procedure.
Here are the 7 best reasons professionals are recommending this technique to their patients:
- Reduced Blood Loss – The abdomen in robotic radical prostatectomy is inflated with gas. The gas pressure is very helpful in reducing bleeding. Towards the end of surgery, the surgeon will discharge gas from the abdomen. Since surgeons use advanced 3-D high definition cameras during the surgery, the operation area gets magnified, which helps them clearly detect the bleeding and stop without delay. Usually, there is absolutely no need for blood transfusions.
- Shorter Catheter Period – With robotic prostatectomy surgery, the surgeons can perform anastomosis, a surgical technique for creating new connections between two body structures carrying fluid. In this case the surgeon will waterproof stitch urinary tract and urinary bladder together, which facilitates removal of catheter in just 6-7 days.
- Shorter Hospitalization Periods – Very tiny incisions are used for this surgery and loss of blood is also less. Hence, patients get discharged from the hospital much earlier than with open surgeries.
- Reduced Pain – Since tiny surgical incisions are made during the surgery, patients experience very less discomfort and pain compared to traditional open surgeries.
- Better Cancer Control – Since robotic surgery uses advanced 3-D high definition images combined with precision instruments capable of move in seven degrees, surgeons can get a clear view of prostate tissue while performing robotic prostatectomy. The prostate apical region is clearly visible and can be operated on more precisely. Consequently, margin positivities related to surgery are decreased significantly.
- Earlier Return to Sex Life – This procedure helps protect the neurovascular bundle lying around the prostate. It helps patients to resume a normal sex life earlier.
- Control Over Bladder – Patients can regain better bladder control after robotic prostatectomy as compared to those who have been treated with traditional surgery. This is facilitated by certain factors such as less bleeding, better imagery, etc. Retention of the longer urethra also plays a crucial role in this respect.
Understanding Recovery Time for Prostate Surgery – Things to Expect
The recovery time is shorter in case of robotic prostate surgery when compared to that of traditional laparoscopic prostatectomy or open prostatectomy. This time may vary from one patient to another. On an average, the following are some typical recovery times of patients who have chosen to go for robotic prostatectomy:
– Patients can go back home within 24-hours of the procedure which is much shorter than the standard 3-day stay required for traditional open prostatectomy
– The catheter can be removed within just four to six days after the procedure.
– Most patients are able to get back to their usual daily activities within one to two weeks of the procedure. Those in jobs requiring heavy lifting must switch to lighter tasks for around 4-6 weeks.
– Almost all patients are able to regain total bladder control within just three months of the procedure. Around 30 per cent of patients are capable of regaining full control within the first week.
Aspects affecting outcomes of an individual:
– Experience level of the surgeon performing the procedure. Only the best robotic surgeons for prostate can accomplish this surgery successfully.
– Preoperative function of the patients.
– The presence/absence of partner for complete recovery of sexual function.
– Severity of cancer.
– The nerve sparing procedure performed will affect recovery of sexual function.
– Patient’s dedication and regularity in adherence to penile rehabilitation process after surgery.
Patients are recommended kegel exercises and walking to expedite the recovery process. When practiced regularly, these exercises help strengthen the patient’s pelvic floor, improve continence, controls weight and also improve overall cardiovascular health.